Thursday, April 21, 2016

Me & appliqué

I've loved appliqué quilts for a long time. I've always wanted to make one but I was influenced/intimated into not making an appliqué quilt because I was told that it was too hard, it will take a long time & that I wouldn't like doing it. 
Well I decided that it was time to sink or swim & I joined an online BOM ( Block of the Month) that was going to have a lot of  needle turn appliqué in it. I don't think that I realized how much appliqué there was going to be. I'm the type of quilter that has to complete each step before I can move to the next step. Well month ones blocks are all done! Yeah! I'm now into month 2 blocks. There's one pieced block & 8 half blocks that have wreaths with leaves, ALL APPLIQUÉ! Oh my goodness. My original plan was to give the needle turn a shot but have some wool standing by to use just in case I didn't like the needle turn. Well I've done 3 blocks of just the vines & I think I'm doing ok. Here's my first ever needle turn appliqué! It takes me about an hour to do this stem. I'll get all of the stems appliquéd on & then I'll do my leaves. 

I'm also making good progress on my wool appliqué project. I'm at the half way point on the 11th block. Here's 9 of the finished blocks 

& the 10th block I finished this week, sunflowers😊

I started the wool project last August & I'd love to have the quilt top done by this August. There's still a lot of stitching to do but I'll give it my best shot. It's good to have goals. They keep you focused. 

I'm trying to do as much piecing as I can while working on the 2 appliqué projects. I've got some deadlines coming up that I will not miss! 

I hope y'all are doing well. I'm loving the weather here in Kansas. Cool & sunny☀️
More later on,

Vicky


No comments:

Post a Comment