Friday, April 15, 2016

Day 4 of the 5 day quilt challenge. One of my favorites

I LOVE this quilt! It is one of my most favorite quilts & it's on my bed more than any other quilt. Here's the quilt stats:

Original dimensions (110x110) I've washed it so it has shrunk some.

There are 10,000 one inch pieces in the quilt using just shy of 19 yards of scraps. ( border yardage not included)

I started the quilt on November 11, 2012 & it was on my bed January 9, 2013, (69 days)

It's "Perkiomen Daydreams" by Bonnie Hunter (the pattern is in her very first book).


I had been wanting to make this quilt for a long time but I allowed the 10,000 one inch pieces to intimidate me. The holiday season of 2012-2013 I wanted monotonous sewing, just putting fabric under the needle. I decided that this quilt fit the bill. It looks very intimidating but it's not. You're making the same block 400 times. Lots of chain piecing ( I did not piece all of those tiny squares one at a time). The hardest part is putting all of the blocks together. You've got to follow the diagram. I would highlight each block as I sewed it to the next one on the row. At about the 2/3 mark I took a pic of my progress & showed it to Theresa & she found that I had turned 1 block 90 degrees the wrong way, DOH! Well it had to been taken out & fixed. 

This is the quilt that I hang at all of my presentations. It's a real attention getter & conversation starter. 

If you find a pattern that has you intimated by the piece count start it! Making a quilt like this is like eating an elephant, one bite at a time. You can do it!!!

I hope that y'all are having a great day. It's gorgeous here. I'm sitting on my front porch drinking my tea while typing this up & soaking up some fresh air & sunshine☀️

More later on,


Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment