Thursday, April 14, 2016

Day 3 o the 5 day challenge: Kiddo quilts

My kiddo has grown up in quilt stores. He used to be able to tell you which ones were the nicest to him & the ones that had the best toys. I started quilting when he was a year old. He doesn't remember life without quilts. I started raiding his closet today looking for the quilts that I've made for him over the years & WOW, the memories. I remember making these for him thinking that #1 He's so huge so I'd better make them big so that he'll be able to use them for a long time (He has outgrown many of them now).
#2 Maybe his kiddos will be able to use them & love them, knowing that their daddy slept under them.
Ok gotta stop, the tears are starting to build. I'm going to break the rules (though I'm not sure there are any & give you a few quilts instead of just one)

He loved (still does but not quite the same intensity) all things John Deere. My dads mom embroidered the tractor blocks & I put the top together. Theresa quilted it for me & did a fabulous job.

Here is a close up of the embroidered block

 I love the fact that my grandma & I both worked on this quilt for him. 

We did have to put it up because some of the embroidery was starting to come out. My kiddo loves & uses his quilts well!


I'd have to consult the quilt book full of my quilt pictures to remember for sure when I made this one. I think that it was one of the first that I made. We/Me had John Deere fabric coming out my ears for years. It brings back great memories when they pop up in my scrap bins.



I think that I started off making this quilt for his daddy. Turns out that it wasn't quite long enough & kiddo jumped on it & claimed it as his. I was starting to run out of big piecies of JD fabric & was using up what I had. It's got a green fleece on the back.


As kiddo grew up he requested that I make him a quilt. He requested that I make it solely from fabrics/scraps that I already had. (He's definitely his daddy's boy). I was starting to really get into all things Bonnie Hunter so I made him this quilt

This is her pattern. I can't remember the name for sure but I think it's "Hopscotch Butterscotch" from her second book "Adventures with Leaders & Enders". Learned some great lessons on this quilt. The main one is that when making half square triangles & you've drawn a line on the back that line is your fold line not your sew line. Once I grasped that concept it made a huge difference. I put a blue shaggy minky fabric for the backing & Theresa quilted bulldozers on it.

For his latest quilt I made him this 

He is all about the military. He especially loves all things WWII. I found this fabric for him while at Missouri Star one day. There is a previous blog post all about this quilt.

My kiddo will always be one of my favorite people to make quilts for. He's like me, in the fact that he attaches memories/feelings with objects. He knows that I poured my love for him into each quilt. He also uses them!!! That is one of the biggest compliments that I can ever have as a quilter. When I see you using the quilts it makes me happy. Baby quilts are meant for tummy time, to be spit up on, slept under & forts built from them.

I hope that y'all are having a great day. It's pretty spectacular here & I'm loving this weather. The sun is out, a nice light breeze & I'm not sneezing. More later on,


Vicky
 






No comments:

Post a Comment