Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Day 2 of the 5 day challenge

Day 2

5 years ago my husband asked me to make him a quilt. He had some "rules" or requests in its making.

 #1 It had to take me a long time. I'm guessing that he thought that if I made a more intensely pieced quilt that it would take me a much longer time to make. It took me a while but I decided on "Ocean Waves". I love antique quilt patterns. The problem or issue that I find with them is that they generally have very difficult instructions on the construction. I found Bonnie Hunters "Ocean Waves" pattern on her website quiltville.com & knew that I could make this! It is the easiest pattern I have found to make this quilt. There are no Y seams!

#2 It had to take me a long time. Again I'm thinking that my dear husbands thought process was that if it took me a long time to make then I wouldn't be making as many quilts. I started this quilt in April of 2011 & gave it to him for our Anniversary in September 2011. There are a couple thousand half square triangles in the quilt but if you take them one at a time, they're not bad to complete :)

#3 I had to use his "Dirt Colors". I had not been a big fan of Civil War Repro fabrics. I like bold & bright colors so making this quilt with CW fabrics was definetly getting me out of my comfort zone. Thankfully the quilt store here locally had A LOT of CW scraps & I was in luck!

Here's Husband John's "Ocean Waves" quilt

He loves this quilt & is not a big fan of me taking it with me to my presentations. It always stays on his chair & he uses almost daily. 

I hope that y'all are having a great day. It's beautiful here. The windows are open, the flag is gently waving in the breeze & I'm getting ready to do some sewing. More later on,


Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment