Monday, October 20, 2014

What am I working on today? A new quilt!

It's been a busy week here though I think I always  say that on Monday mornings. I've been doing my best to get things ready to go for my next guild presentation. I head out tomorrow for Rose Hill KS. I'm looking forward to. It should be great time. I'll be packing up the car later this afternoon after I've run some errands. 
I was able to get bindings on both the Orphan quilt & the Apple Core quilt. I'm especially excited about the Apple Core quilt being done. I had never done bias binding & to be honest I was intimidated by it. I Googled how to make bias binding & a great simple YouTube video came up & I was in business. I realized that the intimidation was all in my head & making/putting bias binding on a quilt isn't so bad. It does take longer than regular binding though. I raided my fat quarters & pulled out a few that had been in there way to long

Some of these go back to 2005. I only know that because of the date on the selvage. Here's a pic of part of the binding. I'm really glad that I kept the curves & did the bias binding. It really makes the quilt. 


I really learned a lot from this quilt. I'm no longer intimidated by curved piecing or bias binding. I think I'm ready to tackle a Double Wedding Ring!! Though that might have to wait for a bit. There are a few quilts ahead of a DWR. 

I think that it was last Monday when I showed a pic of the bags of batik scraps that I had cut up. 

Well I have taken the 2" bag & matched up all of the strips & now they are ready to sew together. 

I think I'm ready to put some fabric under the needle. I'm going to find the time to make that happen today! I'm hoping that some coffee will help keep the energy up. It's just a little after 9 & I'm yawning not good. I hope that y'all have a great day. It's simply gorgeous here in the middle of the USA. More later on,


Vicky


1 comment:

  1. What is it about batiks? I have ziploc bags of pieces, too. Other fabrics get cut into squares and strips, too, and I use 'em, but somehow the batiks are like a collection of jewels. I look forward to see what you make out of yours.

    ReplyDelete