Friday, October 3, 2014

A pile of possibilities

I finished my orphan quilt yesterday. They are orphans no more! They are one large quilt! I would show a picture but my house is to small to lay it out flat & it's been raining so the front yard is not an option. I'll share one soon when things dry up. Once I was finished with the Orphan Quilt ( I've got to come up with a better name for it. I don't like Orphan for the name of a quilt) I started looking through my patterns looking for my next quilt to make. Actually I needed to find 2 quilts. I needed a Leeder/Ender quilt besides my main project.  So I think I found my patterns, my main project will be "Four Patch X" by Bonnie Hunter

My L/E project will be "Crabapples" by Bonnie Hunter

The next decision was color palette. I decided on bright  batiks, shocking right? 
I just love those bright colors. I've got 2 tubs full of batiks. One holds the yardage & the other holds my scraps. I dumped the scraps on my living room floor  & started sorting. This is all of the bright colors

I put all of the muted colors &  browns back into the tub. 

It'll be a lot harder for me to use these colors up. I'm not drawn to them at all. I will some day though. 
I take out a handful, iron them & then cut them into the best use of their size. I've got four piles going; 2.5", 2", 1.5" & strings. 

It'll take me a little bit of time but that's ok. At least this pile of scraps will be put into a useful purpose. 

A little farm news. Things are going to start getting busy again. The fall baby calves are starting to arrive & they are just too darn cute. Also it's time to pick pears. Where my house sits use to be an orchard. There were pears, peaches, apples & cherries. The tornado of '53 took them all out except one pear tree. 

It's a an unbelievable producing tree. We've picked 27 5 gallon buckets from it in one season & that doesn't count the buckets of bad pears that the cows got. 
We are expecting our first freeze tomorrow am so I need to pic the tree clean. This is one of the pears that we picked the other night

I'd better get my clothes changed & head outside. My mom & cousin Wanda are coming up later this afternoon. Wanda wants to see some quilts. I'll see what I can do to help with that. Have a great day y'all.  More later on,


Vicky 






1 comment:

  1. Vicky, I love your choice for the leader/ender quilt for one of your next projects. I should do that too since I started making little 4-patches some time ago for a L/E. Boy, that is one beautiful pear. Wish I lived closer and I would come help you pick for a 1/2 bucket of those wonderful fruits. They are one of my favorites because they are hard to come by and never seem to taste good from the store. Have fun with your company.

    ReplyDelete