Friday, January 1, 2016

The first day of a new year!

2015 was definetley a roller coaster year. There were many highs & just as many lows. I'm looking forward to 2016 & all of the adventures it will bring.

I've been doing my best to sew as much as possible during the holidays but it's been pretty much hit or miss. Some days I don't get any sewing in & there are others that I can get quite a few hours in. Since I've last posted I've finished: My Kansas Row by Row
It turned out somewhat like the picture that I had in my head. I haven't quite gotten the hang of figuring out how to measure the hexagons. The hexagon panel turned out being a bit wider than anticipated but I just went with it. It's at my LAQ!

Next up was my version of Bonnie Hunters "Mad City Momma". This is the quilt that I just could not make up my mind. Well I finally did & I like the out come:
It turned out smaller than I usually make but that's ok, they all can't be Vicky size:) This is at my LAQ as well.

Now my attention is onto my Blue/White rbr. I was stumped. I had 12 rows to use & inspirations wasn't hitting. First thought was to stagger each row, use a midnight blue for the fill in section & then appliqué 
Silver snowflakes in those sections. I decided not to use that idea because #1 I am not a huge fan of machine appliqué & 2 I didn't want to spend the money on a Accuquilt die that I wasn't going to use a lot. So back to the drawing board. I took out all of my rows & matched them up by how tall they were.
I had 4 rows that were 12". Great! I sewed them together for the center of my quilt.
I put the blue border on then the 2 side panels/rows & then the top & bottom rows with the checker boards. I really like how this is coming along. 

I was working on the bottom 2 rows when I ran out of my blue fabric that I had been using. Off to dig in the stash & see what I had. Low & behold I found something that matched! 
The center blue square is what I ran out of. I think it's a pretty good match. This fabric has been sitting in my stash for a long time just waiting to be used

The night that I was working on this I was trying to cut just a few more strips before starting dinner. I wasn't using any of my safety rulers or attachments & I sliced a hunk off of my left index finger
Oy Vey. I bled like a stuck hog. I was concerned that I was going to need stitches because I've done this once before & needed stitches. Not this time, this time I just sliced it clean off. I was very lucky & greatful that my husband was home to help me with it. He was a great nurse. Mental note: SLOW DOWN VICKY! 

I do hope y'all are having a great New Years Day. I'm heading to meet some dear friends for lunch, might do some shopping & then I'm not sure what. More later on, 

Vicky

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. That is not a good way to start the new year. I like how your Blue and white quilt is turning out.

    ReplyDelete