Monday, January 18, 2016

Sometimes you just know

Sometimes you just know when a pattern has either kicked your behind, is beyond your capabilities or you've tried & failed multiple times & have failed. I think that I have found that pattern for me. My dear friend Liz asked me to make her a quilt over 3 years ago & it is still not made. This is the pattern she choose
"Maritime" by Judy Martin. My first thought was this should be a piece of cake, boy was I wrong. 
First I tried to make it according to the directions in the book & this is the block that I came up with.
A very cool, very wavy block. This wasn't going to work. My next solution was to take it to a quilt shop that is know for their paper piecing & have them draft up a pattern for me. So I Ieft it there for about a year or so. They made no progress on it so I asked my friend Randi if she could draft it & make the star blocks for me. She drafted them for me & this past March or April I dug them out & thought that they would make a great project to work on while taking care of my father in law next door. Randi did a great job in the drafting I didn't do well on the paper piecing. Frustration is putting it mildly. I just wanted to scream. I didn't I put my frustration into cutting thousands of 1.5" squares instead.

The next idea was to get the "Blazing Star" die for my Accuquilt. So I did. (Actually I think it was a gift from my mom). Here is the block that the die will make. It's not as intense of a star as the Judy Martin pattern is but I'm going to give it a try & see how things go. 

I really want to complete this quilt because Liz has been extremely patient & I want her to have her quilt!

I hope that y'all are doing well. It is very cold here in KS & we even have snow! That makes me happy!
More later on,


Vicky







1 comment: