Monday, March 16, 2015

It's Monday! What am I working on? An elephant, bindings & a modern quilt

Good morning! What an unexpected weekend I had. I tried to fill it with as much quilting as possible! On Saturday my friend Randi came up to help me on a paper piecing pattern that she drafted for me. I had struggled with it earlier in the week but I think that all of my issues have been resolved! 
I spent a lot of time next door with my FIL   . Husband had lots of outside farm work this weekend & I needed to stay close to home. So I worked on my Wild & Goosey blocks while I was next door. I'm very close to having my first row of 17 blocks done! Two years ago while at a friends mystery quilt retreat one of the steps was a stitch-n-flip with bonus hst! I asked my fellow quilters that if they didn't want those bonus HST could I have them? This is what I got
We'll see how long this lasts. I've already taken 85 triangles out & you can't tell that I've touched it. 

Yesterday I decided was a binding day. It was time to finish up these projects & get them done! Binding is not my favorite so I generally put it off as long as possible. First up was my hand quilting project
I know where I want to hang it I just need to bring some pins home from next door.

Next up was my moms wall hanging. The fabric that I had originally planned to use for the binding I didn't have enough of so it sat. Finally I realized that I probably had something very close that I could use. Low & behold I did & this one is done!

The last binding done yesterday was the purple quilt. 
I'm really happy to have this one done. It doesn't excite me like a scrappy quilt does. Though I am happy to have the yardage used up!😊

My modern version of my Nostalgia pattern is still looking like this 
I really need to make this a priority & get this finished this week. 

On the farm front it was quiet & peaceful until Friday morning. While checking the cows I found one stuck in the mud/manure. I was able to get her out with the help of of a neighbor & the farm equipment. She can't stand & by doing some investigating we believe that she was standing in some manure & when the bull was doing his thing, she couldn't hold herself & him up & fell. There's not a whole lot that we can do for her. She's in her own pen with her baby getting feed, water & physical therapy. Time will tell if she'll walk again. Then there was this silly creature
He was up there just a crying. I walked over to the roof but I couldn't reach him & he backed up. So I thought that if you figured out how to get up there you could figure out how to get down & he did 😃. 

I hope y'all have a great day. It's going to be 80 & beautiful here today. Check out what other quilters are up to at patchworktimes.com 

more later on,

Vicky




2 comments:

  1. I have to agree on hating binding. I tend to do both sides by machine if I am donating the quilt. If it is one of my favorite tops I'll take the time to do it by hand but boy does it take me a long time to do big quilts by hand. How big are your cut off triangles? I've save thousands of them and I seldom use them. Hopefully the ones I grabbed a guild meeting Sat I'll actually use! Good for you for putting them to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing Wild and Goosey and using up my triangles from the stitch and flip method too. They are the perfect shape, and it feels good to use such small scraps. Good luck with your quilt!

    ReplyDelete