Monday, March 2, 2015

Good Monday morning!

It has been a little bit since I've posted. My life has been more of an upset the fruit basket than normal. We've kinda gotten into a routine in the last week. I go over & take care/watch my FIL from about 8-1 everyday. That way my MIL can get some sleep & do whatever she needs to do. Sometimes it's longer if the folks from hospice come later in the afternoon. I've got my featherweight set up on their dining room table with this project going

I'm not sure what the final design will be. I've kinda been designing on the fly with this one. I had been gifted a huge stack of layer cakes. (The stack was 6" before I started taking from it.) my original plan was to cut tumblers with my accuquilt. Well I could get 4 tumblers from each piece of fabric. That left a big 2" chunck on the ends so I turned all of those chunks into 9 patches (got 84 nine patches). Then I made string blocks from the 1.5"X10" strips that were leftover. ( I think there's 55, 5" string blocks). Now I'm working on putting the 743 tumblers into 27 rows of 27 tumblers. 

This project keeps evolving as it grows. 

My project at home has been to get everything ready for my trip to Winfield KS next week. I'm getting closer to getting done. I've also started a project here at home. I'm making my "Nostalgia " quilt in an alternate color way. 

The new modern color way

I'm hoping to have the top done so that I can take it with me next week. When I get back & it gets quilted both quilts will hang in the local quilt shop (Meadows Quilting & Sewing).

On the farm front it's been busy but I'm hoping it'll calm down. In the last week we've had a breakout 

& the last of the baby calves. The last one is this adorable white bull. I've named him "The Ghost"
When he grows into his ear tags he's going to be huge! 
We also had one get stuck. I believe that raising calves is like taking care of toddlers in teenagers bodies. They find themselves in trouble & you & them don't know how they got there. This calf had found a way around this paneling & had gotten his head stuck between the lug on the tractor tire & the wall

Getting him unstuck was not a problem. Getting him out was. 
He couldn't back up because the draw bar was in his way. Somehow by Gods grace & humor the calf turned, crouched down & walked besides the tire so I could reach him & help him the rest of the way out. It's never dull here. 

I hope y'all have a great day. I'm thankful for the sunshine. ☀️More later on,

Vicky


P.S. Checkout what other quilters are up to at patchworktimes.com





4 comments:

  1. Your quilt parts are wonderful. It will be fun to see what you end up doing with them. I love your quilt you have at home. The colors just pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lot going on. Love the variety of blocks from the layer cakes. Great busy work for you. You will have fabulous quilts from these.
    Those baby calves!!! Oh the trouble they get into. I'm glad you found that precious little thing before it was too late. Life on the farm is never dull!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a busy life. I am new to your blog but it saddens me that you mention hospice with your father-in-law. BTDT. You are so sweet to spend time there so your mil can rest. I love the colors of the quilt you have going on over there. I keep hearing about the accuquilter but I've never seen one. Maybe I shouldn't see one as I am kind of beginning to want one and I bet they are expensive. The neat stuff always is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work in progress at your In-laws house is looking pretty neat. Can't wait to see what you do with the layout. Cute liitle calf and glad you got him out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete