Monday, April 28, 2014

What I'm working on


I have been a little neglectful in my blog posting. It has been busy with life & quilting. I got my off set log cabin quilt back from my LAQ & I love it. She used a purple batik on the back & purple thread, now I just have to bind it:(  

Then I started treading like a crazy woman to get my current treadle quilt done so that I could hang it in my guilds quilt show this Saturday. All of the food fabrics are scraps & I can't really tell you on the black. I've used so many of my black scraps in quilts lately that I don't know what came from a scrap or yardage that I purchased. My LAQ is going to used a veggie panto I'm excited to see it!

Last week when I stopped by to drop off/pick up a quilt I was chatting with my LAQ. She has been sewing up a storm lately & has been going through her stash. The seed was planted though I didn't know it. My regular group of Friday night sewing ladies didn't meet so I spent some time in the sewing room. I was sitting on the floor & I had this uneasy feeling that my stacks & piles were going to fall on me at any moment. I was searching my 1.5" strip drawer for Civil War fabrics & my husband came into my sewing room & said "Babe you have serious problem". Well that statement & the seed that my LAQ planted I got to work. I went through bags & bags of fabric. I sorted into 2 different piles, fabric that I know I will use & fabric that I would love to keep but I just don't have the space. In my local community we have an Assistance center that has a store ( kind of like the good will) & a quilt store. In the quilt store they sell all kinds of fabric & do machine quilting. Well I took in my 3 bags. It was so much fun today. I know that what they don't use or don't sell they donate it to different churches in the area & a Council on Aging. They will make charity quilts from the fabric. It will not go to waste or be thrown away. 

Now don't worry about me I still have enough scraps to keep me happy for a long time. 

What I'm working on now is turning a container full of Civil War scrappy pieces into useable strips.  My Mom came up last year & helped me clean out my sewing room. We filled this container full of scrappy goodness that I could not bear to part with. The container was so full it was bulging out the sides. I had to stack more fabric on the top just to keep the lid on it. 

This is just a handful that I had taken out of the container to sort, iron & then cut. My next project uses 1.5" pieces but I'm cutting to make the best use of the fabric. I have piles for the neutral & colored 1.5"
A 2" & 2.5" piles. The 2" pieces will go to the treadle. My current Leader & Ender project uses this size & color way. The 2.5" pieces will be cut into hst for the Leader/Ender project at the Pfaff machine. 

All of the 2 & 2.5" strips that are on the table came from the one container I'm working from. I know that I need to organize more & clean up more but I really want to sew now! I hope y'all are having a good day. Typing out this post was a good break from the sorting, ironing & cutting but I'd better get back to it. More later on,


Vicky


1 comment: