Thursday, April 11, 2013

It's been a gloomy day outside but inside I have been full of activity. Lots of cleaning & sewing going on. I try to split up my cleaning and sewing. I break up the tasks of each so that when I get one done I can go back to the other. That way I can see progress on both fronts.
I think that maybe I have bitten off more than I can chew on this blog. I'm still learning on how it all works and getting frustrated when I can't figure out how to change things. I'm currently trying to figure out how to upload pictures from my cell phone to the blog. I think that I also want to change the name of the blog just a little. Hopefully I'll be able to figure this out.

On to quilting! I've got 2 immediate projects that I am working on for other people. The first one is a block exchange that I am in with some of my quilty friends. I am supposed to have my 12 blocks done by sometime in May. They are coming along just fine. It is a bit of a slow process as there are lots of pieces in them. I can't show pictures (even if I wanted to) because I think that it is supposed to be a surprise.
The next project is one that is stretching my skills. I am making it for my dear friend Liz. I've had the fabric for too long probably. I also want to make myself one. That way I can practice on my fabric and work out all of the kinks. It has lots of odd shaped pieces and I don't think that it will be a fast process. Both of the quilts will be spectacular when done.
I had finished my last L/E quilt and so I have been cutting more fabric for the next one. L/E stands for Leaders/Enders. Instead of using pieces of scraps to start and finish your seems use planned pieces. For instance have a stack of  2" squares by your machine and feed 2 through behind your main project. I think L/E's are magical. It is amazing how much you can get done. It also saves on thread, you don't throw much away. I learned about L/E from Bonnie Hunter. She has books and a website quiltville.com where you can learn more. I took what I learned there and tweeked it so that it worked for me. My current L/E is from her book "String Fling" it is called "Jamestown Landing".

Time seems to be getting away from me. There is still lots to do before quilt guild this evening. Chores, bread is about to go into the oven & I need to print some things. Have  a great night.


Vicky

2 comments:

  1. Don't pressure yourself to post every day. Just have fun with it. Be sure to share all the funny stories of life on the farm. I love hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon. I'll post them when they happen. It is feast or famine on the farm stories.

    ReplyDelete