Thursday, March 29, 2018

Handwork, scraps & smokin some chicken

It has been busy around here & I’ve just not made the time to sit down & write. Well today I’m just going to put lunch on hold & type a few words. I’ve been busy working on my hand work projects for a new program that I’m putting together. It’s slow, ya know because its hand work. I’m trying not to get stressed over it &  I am trying to enjoy the process.  With my dear husband working from home now I have to be more intentional with how I can get my sewing time in. Yesterday my plan was to smoke some chickens for supper & hopefully have enough for supper & a few lunches. I got my fire & smoke going & all was well. The chickens were coming along pretty good but I realized that I had way to many coals after they were done. So at about 6pm last night I put more chicken in the smoker because I didn’t want to waste all of those good coals. 

So after we had supper & I had somewhat cleaned up the kitchen (why clean it up all the way when there’s more chicken that’s got to come in) I sat down with my latest big stitch hand quilting project & started in. I made pretty good head way last night because I was still stitching at midnight. I brought in the chicken at 9pm because the coals just weren’t puttin out the heat anymore, so I put the chicken in the oven to finish cooking (at a low temp). They finally reached temp at 11pm. Well you can’t take them straight from the oven & then into the fridge. So while they cooled I kept stitching.  I”m going to have to get a lot more thread. 2 rounds around the outside pink triangles & the echo work on the bottom has used up almost 1 spool of thread. 

I had a sew day with my good friend Kathy G last Thursday & was indecisive on what project I needed to work on. So I think I took 5. Oh mercy,
I pushed my 1,000 pyramids quilt that had been my Leader/Ender project (it seems like it’s been an L/E forever) to th of the first in line. Low & behold I got it done!!! Woo hoo! All of the triangles are scraps. The black & the the border fabric are purchased yardage. It is HUGE!!! 91”x110”  I know  I shouldn’t be surprised anymore but sometimes I still amazed at my predilection to anything big. 

I’ve also had a huge finish in the embroidery catergory. I finished all 8 panels of the purple poises & now I’m working on the piecing part of that project. 
The 8 panels are going where the 8 squares are in a broken star quilt pattern.  As I get more of the piecing done I will do my best to post progress pics. 

This past Sunday I finished the brown round on my eternal hexie project. Next up is a round of black! This project is definitely teaching me patience. Lord knows this isn’t moving all that fast. I started it last April in celebration of my 40th birthday. Well I’m going to be turning 41 here in a few months. Maybe it’ll be done in time for my 50th birthday celebration. LOL!

I do hope that y’all are having a great day. I’d better close this post, get some lunch & then I’m off on a parts run for DH. More later on,


Vicky









2 comments:

  1. Wow, Vicky your work is so beautiful. I love them all. I saw you in 2016 at the Colombia group in Missouri. I took photos of all the 60 + quilts you had there. I don't know how many times I have shown those photos to my friends. We are all in awe. Today I'm going to a friends place to sew. I really enjoy sewing with friends as I tend to procrastinate a lot on my own. Thank you for sharing. Love from New Zealand. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at how much you accomplish with so many things going on in your busy life. I love your triangle quilt and the hexies are going to be beautiful too. You have a lot to show for all you've done even though you haven't written much. I'm in the same boat about not posting as often as I'd like. So much to do and not enough time to go around. Have a Blessed Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete