Saturday, February 13, 2016

Kizer's fabric

When I give my presentations I talk about how scrappy quilts are like memory quilts. By looking at a certain piece of fabric I can remember what quilt I was making & who I was making it for. If I'm making a quilt for someone special I think of them & pray for them as I'm putting pieces under the needle. I always talk about my nephew Kizer in every presentation that I give. I don't think he knows that I do that ;) Here is his story:

6 years ago Kizer was going to be turning 10 & he was in need of a new quilt. I got him & his mom ( my sister Becky) on the phone while we were both on the computer. They started looking up different quilt patterns & asking if they were possible. We settled on "Links" by Derek Lockwood. My plan was to double the pattern so that I could make it bigger so that it would last longer for him. I bought double them amount of fabric that the pattern called for. This was the first Bargello quilt I had ever made. I didn't know that you couldn't do that. So off to the races I went. I was sewing up a storm. Making strip set after strip set. Then the construction started & I soon realized that my original plan wasn't going to work & now I had a ton of leftover fabric. I realized that the body of the quilt wasn't going to be big enough & I was going to have to find some way to make it bigger. This is the final quilt
I loved this quilt & still do. Though I guess not enough to make another one :). 

I should have realized then that I am a scrap quilter & that I don't know how to calculate yardage. Needless to say I had lots of leftover fabrics. This practicular piece of fabric I associate with Kizer.
It's the blue with the circles. It is in just about all of my batik quilts. Every time I see it I think of Kizer. I used to have a large quantity of it but it has greatly dwendled  over the years. There are only small pieces of it left.

I cherish these bits & pieces of fabric that have memories of loved ones. They bring me memories of the ones that I love close to me.

Here is a pic of me, Kizer & Elle. Love these kiddos!

I hope that y'all are having a great day! More later on, 


Vicky


1 comment:

  1. How awesome! Thanks for talking to us at the Greater KC Quilt Guild. LOVED your presentation! LOVED your concept of using the scraps and how you sort/store them. Thanks for sharing all you did. I could have listened to you for a long time. Looking forward to next time.

    ReplyDelete