Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Meeting Bonnie on Monday

Yesterday I got to meet Bonnie Hunter! Oh my good gravy that was exciting! I have been a huge fan for years. I remember when my friend/Long Arm Quilter told me about her website quiltville.com Oh my goodness the flood gates of possiblities was open! I was an instant fan. I read about all of her travels & presentations to quilt guilds all over the globe & was inspired. 

Back to yesterday. A friend of a friend was the one who was originally going but because of work conflicts she would be unable to. Huge bummer for her but what an awesome opportunity for me! I found out about a week in advance that I would be able to go. It was going to be an all day workshop on her pattern " Smith Mountain Morning". I had wanted to make this quilt for a while but  I just hadn't quite gotten there yet. Now it was crunch time & I needed to make some choices on what fabrics I was going to use. I didnt feel the scrappy vibe on this one. I figured that since I was in the midst of a huge Civil War scrappy quilt that I could dig into the batik yardage for the SMM quilt. Black was going to be my background (shocker right?) & the other two colors were going to be a purple batik ( Kinda went crazy & bought a huge amount of this when a quilt store was going out of business) & a pretty multicolored batik. Here are my blocks from yesterday

My goal was to get enough blocks done so that I could get a glimpse of what the quilt would look like.
Once I saw these blocks done my excitment level rose. My table mate Maggie & I were on a round table so when I got blocks done I put them on the empty table behind me

This is what I was able to get accomplished in yesterdays class. I LOVE IT!!  Now the problem is what project do I work on now? I'm not generally in this spot, two projects going at once. Most likely I'll finish the Civil War quilt & then reward myself with this beauty! Plus I need to sketch it out because you know me it needs to be BIG, & so I know how many more blocks I'll need to make.

I was able to get my picture with Bonnie,

To say that I was/am happy is an understatement. It was an incredible experience & I'm so glad that my friend got me in touch with her friend so that I could go. Thank you to the Stitch by Stitch guild in Marshall MO. All of the the ladies were so very friendly & welcoming. It was a wonderful day & not one that I will forget any time soon.

Check out what other quilters are up to at patchworktimes.com
Have a great evening.

More later on,


Vicky



1 comment:

  1. Your SMM colors are totally awesome. I love purple as you know, but those contrasting batiks just makes it sing. I LOVE IT!! We are getting Bonnie this Saturday, so she is getting a very good taste of Missouri hospitality.

    ReplyDelete