Monday, September 29, 2014

What I'm working on: An orphan quilt, hand quilting & some embroidery

It's has been 11 years of me saying "I'm not a hand quilter, I'm just not patient enough". Which it is true I really do have to work hard on my patience. Last night I say down with my block that I had prepared & set to work hand quilting. I was disappointed with my work & I was venting my frustrations to a friend. Her encouraging words of "Vicky you've got to start somewhere" reminded me that I am a beginner.  Here's my progress so far

I think that I need to loosen the fabric in the hoop some. I'm so used to having my embroidery hoop taunt. That it's weird having it so flimsy. 

I am a huge Bonnie Hunter fan. I noticed on her blog & FB page that she was hand quilting an orphan block quilt. It got me to thinkin that I know that I've got lots of orphan blocks & leftover pieces from the last 10+ years. In just a few days I had what I thought was enough blocks but it turns out I was 2 short. That's not a problem. I can come up with 2 more blocks. This is the first layout

Husband did not like the swastikas on the left side. I didn't notice them! So I switched things around & came up with this 

It's going to be another biggie but that's ok. I just don't make small quilts. With a 4" border I believe it will be around 104" square. 

I've been making some progress on my newest embroidery project. 

This project will take a while because I need to make 8 of these blocks. They are going to be in a broken star quilt when they're all done. 

I hope y'all have a great day. It's looking like it will be another spectacular day here in the middle of America.  More later on,

Vicky




4 comments:

  1. Good for you for giving hand quilting a go!! I'm still in the "I'm not a hand quilter" camp :) Love the look and give great respect to those that do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done any hand quilting in a long time, but have two tops that are waiting for it! Enjoy the process and I like your friends advice. Great quilt top with your orphan blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't give up on the hand quilting. When I first started hand quilting back in 1980ish, I thought to myself, "You people think this is relaxing? You're crazy!" Fortunately, I kept at it and now it is very relaxing and meditative. I hand quilt most of my quilts and feel frustrated with the machine quilting. I guess I should take my own advice and apply it to machine quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me forever to find the swastikas. I'm doing a orphan quilt on Rosemary Young's Happy Scrappy Orphan Block BOM. It's a lot of fun. Yours is a show stopper.

    ReplyDelete