Thursday, May 25, 2017

Oklahoma City & Mountain Home Arkansas

Just a heads up this is probably going to be a long post with lots of pictures :)

Mom & I had 2 big trips back to back with in a 2 week time span. First up was OKC. I was very excited about OKC. I hadn't been there since the summer of '95 when 3 of my best friends & I  took a road trip through OKC on our way to Texas. I had 2 things that I wanted to do while we were there: first I wanted to go to the memorial site & I know this sounds silly but I wanted to go to The Melting Pot for supper one night with my mom. We made good time on out way down, which is very easy to do when you can go 80 +mph! We checked in to our hotel, made reservations for supper & took a nap.

The first time I had ever been to The Melting Pot was here in KC. I had wanted to go there to celebrate my first Mothers Day. Lets just say it was a disaster. That is not the place to take my husband or my dad. They couldn't believe that you had to pay that much to cook your own food. It was complete blasphemy to them.  I remember telling mom at the time that she & I would come back someday without them. Well it took 14 years but we finally made it! Here we are, ready for some cheese & chocolate fondue!
 
 First up was the cheese fondue. I thought this was the bomb!!!! I hadn't had the chocolate yet, LOL!

Next up was the chocolate, HOLY GRAVY, it was Devine!!!
  

After our indulgences in cheese & chocolate we had time to head over to the memorial site. The last time I had seen this place was just 4 months after the bombing. I was completely in awe & very much impressed with the memorial. It was incredible. 
This is the first thing that we saw. We came from the west side.
 
 

Each victim has their own chair with their name inscribed on it. It was a powerful place. At dusk each chair glows.
  

The next day we had 2 presentations to the Central Oklahoma Quilt Guild. What a fun group of quilters! They were very interactive & they asked lots of questions, which I LOVE! 
I am sorry I have but 1 pic of the morning guild ladies.  I try to remind myself to take more pics, I get caught up in talking with everyone, it slips my mind & then I kick myself later when I remember.
 


We were not going to be going home the next day. My kiddo was going to be performing his tenor sax solo at the state competition in Salina KS on Saturday. We were able to go through Henessey OK & visit Oklahomas largest quilt store,  that was a lot of fun, then up to Enid OK where my mom still has 2 aunts living. I hadn't seen them in 25+ years. They were the same though. These 2 sisters are definitely something to shoot for. They are both living on their own, 1 is still driving. Aunt Fern is on the left of mom & Aunt Goldie is on the right. I had a blast showing them some of my quilts. They kept saying "OH my" & "You've got how many with you?". Aunt Goldie said "I'm glad its you making all of these quilts & not me!" They were not quilters but their older sisters & mom were. I come from a long line of quilters! 
This is the scrap bag that I got at "Prairie Quilts" in Hennessy OK, They had a large tub of scraps & while I was going through it they said "oh thats a small piece, just throw that one away." I must have had a shocked look on my face at that suggestion because when I said that I could use something that small they were shocked. They had never done any kind of string/foundation piecing. I brought in a couple of my string quilts to show them what I was talking about. They joked that I should just dump they whole tube into a trash bag. My ears perked up with that comment & I jumped on it! I asked them if they were serious about the offer & they were! To date this has got to be one of the largest scraps bags for $5 that I have EVER gotten. Just to give you some size comparison this is a 13 gallon trash bag that won't close. I'm planning on using them in a string quilt. It'll be fun to see how big of quilt I can make using just the scraps in this bag. I'll keep you posted.
 

We made it to Salina a bit after 9 that night & met up with my kiddo for a few minutes before we went to our hotel room & I crashed. Kiddo did great on his solo the next day. He got a II rating (1 is the best) which I was pretty proud of especially since he's just a freshman. He wanted to come home with us after he was done but there was no room, the scrap bag was overflowing where he would have sat.


I think I'd better close. I'll write tomorrow (hopefully) on our trip to Mountain Home Arkansas. I hope that y'all are doing well,


More later on,


Vicky

1 comment:

  1. You did get a great bargain with that scrap bag full for $5. Will be interested in seeing what comes from it.

    ReplyDelete