Saturday, September 19, 2015

Enough done to get a glimpse

I'm the type of quilter that likes to get all of one step done of a block/quilt before I move on to the next.
That way I know that I've got all of my pieces done & that I don't loose any. Well my curiosity has gotten the best of me, because I have the patience of a knat, & so I had to make some blocks. 

Oh my goodness I LOVE IT!!! It's going to be beautiful & definetly unique. I've not made anything like this before. I'm not sure yet what I'll do on the borders but it'll come to me. I've got a little bit before I have to make those choices.

This is a current pattern from American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. I loved the pattern all except that they chopped off half of the blocks. I understand that is how the antique quilt was made but I'm not going to do that! I've worked hard for these & it would kill me to cut them in half.

So my solution is this

Please excuse my chicken scratches but sometimes you just need to jot it down. That way I would know that I had enough blocks/pieces made & my lay out will work. 

It's ok to modify a pattern to make it the way you want your quilt. It would not be ok for me to claim this as my own, which I'm not. The designers who create new patterns or who've designed patterns from antique/vintage quilts have done the hard work for you. They have figured the math to make sure that everything works. It's then up to you the quiltmaker to make your quilt uniquely yours.
(Though you still need to give credit to the original designer).

 It's also important to know that there is more than one way to skin a cat ( gotta give credit to my FIL, that was his line). There is more than one way to make all of the units that we as quilters use. Find the best that works for you with the sizes that you use. On the same hand don't be afraid to try a new technique. You might find something new that you like.

Ok time to get off the soap box. I guess I just want to encourage you to make your quilts  UNIQUELY YOURS!

I hope that y'all are having a good evening. It was a gorgeous day & I enjoyed it.

More later on,


Vicky




No comments:

Post a Comment