Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Well it's not Monday but I'm working on the remaining 2800

I'm hoping that I have fullfilled my husbands desires of me making quilts that take a long time & use up lots of fabric. I've spent just about 100% of my time this past week next door at my in laws helping take care of my father in law. I've got a sewing project at home & next door. The next door project I'm calling "The Chess Board" It will be  10,000 1" squares when it's all done. I'm using my Civil War Reprodction fabrics for this monster. It all started because I had a Rubbermaid container full of bits & pieces that needed to be gone through, cut up & used.  As I cut up the scraps I have 3 piles, 1.5", 2' & 2.5". Here's what has accumulated in those piles since starting this quilt.
The pile on the left is 2.5' strips & on the right is 2" strips. It does slow the process of the primary quilt making by taking the time to cut these strips. When I'm cutting down my scraps I cut to use the maximum efficency of the piece of scrap. When I get done with this current quilt I will have two bags of strips already cut up & ready to use! 

I've got 9 rows out of 12.5 done on the Chess Board. Here is my current progress
I've got 7200 pieces done! Woohoo! I'm working on the reamaning 2800. As you can see I did make one row a tad bit longer than it was supposed to be. That easy oops has already been taken care of. My good friend Liz was having a hard time looking at it. She said that it was hard on her eyes. It's much easier in person than in a picture. I'm on the serious down hill leg of this quilt & I'm hoping that I can keep the momentum up on it! Mostly because my mind is already working/plottting on the next quilts. This quilt has been made completly on my little featherweight. I think that she might want a long vacation after this monster is completed.

My home project of the black/red batiks quilt has made snails pace progress. When you're never at home you can't work on it. I'm really ready for that quilt to be done. 

I have made a few more blocks since taking this picture but I've not taken a new picture. The setting will be a 12 x 12. I think that I have to make 30 or so more blocks & then I can lay it out & start putting it together. It'll be over 100" square when it's done. I like my quilts BIG! I believe that if I'm going to make a quilt for us to use it needs to be 100" or larger. That way it can cover any of our beds with ease.

I guess I'd better get back to cutting up scraps so that I can make more progress on The Chess Board. I hope that y'all are having a great day. It is perfection here in the middle of the USA. It's green, fairly cold (for May) and the sun is out. The only thing that would make it perfect is if there was no pollen. Check out what other quilters are up to at patchworktimes.com. More later on,


Vicky




No comments:

Post a Comment