Friday, July 4, 2014

Making hay

What glorious weather we've been having!!! Simply awesome! Mid 70- 80's this week with little humidity. I'm loving it it because normally it's well over a 100 with lots of humidity. I've been able to have the windows open & I've  not been sneezing.  This week has also been the first opportunity for us to get into the hay field. I was concerned that it wouldn't dry very quickly with such low temps but it did. It just took an extra day. Here's a beginning shot of this field

I was so incredibly blessed. We did not have any troubles while mowing, raking or baling this field ( though I did loose my back wheel on my swather on the way to the house. My husband was teasing me that I had run the wheels clean off my machine. I am so greatfull that he knows how to fix things.)
Here's a pic of the field with it all mowed

I think that it looks like echo quilting. My kiddo ( who is 12) has been pestering, um excuse me asking me to let him rake the hay. Not just sit beside me but sit in the seat & do it all. So I did. You would have thought that I had given him the moon, talk about happy

 Sorry for the blurry shot but clear pictures are not always possible while bouncing down the field. He got to rake for just 2 rounds this night but yesterday he got to rake for 3 hours. He wanted me not to ride with him and well that answer was NO. Here's a pic of his raking


I haven't had any time really to sew & my guild Kansas row by rows are due this Thursday. I'm cutting it close I know but one huge step done is tht I've figured out what rows I'm doing & the fabric! I will be making the Kansas Dugout block with Kansas Trouble fabric.
( sorry about the toes in the pic :)  )

I hope y'all are having a great 4th of July. I'm sure I'll spend some time in a tractor & hopefully some time with my sewing machine. So thankful that I live in America. Have a great day y'all. More later on,

Vicky


2 comments:

  1. Happy 4th to you and your family too. I agree that we are very lucky and thankful that we still live in a free America and hope that it stays that way. I'm not as optimistic as I was when younger, but take each day at a time and thank the Lord for it. Your son did a great job. Tell him I'm very proud of his work ethic and skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to finally do they hay! Pretty soon your son will be able to do it by himself.

    ReplyDelete